When Do You Need a Toxicologist?

August 13, 2017 Dave Weber No Comments



Toxicology is defined as the science of poisons.  It involves the study of the effects of chemicals on living organisms.  A toxicologist is one who specializes in the study of the effects of poisons on the human body.

Toxicology is a broad field of study.  Some toxicologists specialize in “product safety”, while others specialize in “industrial & occupational toxicology”.   It is these occupational toxicologists that have expertise that may be of value to our workplace safety and health programs.  Here are a few ways these occupational toxicologists might be able to help you with your workplace safety and health program:

  •  Provide written reports on the adverse health/environmental effects of chemicals
  •  Developing a toxicity testing strategy for new chemicals 
  •  Interpret the results of toxicology studies 
  •  Occupational chemical exposure assessment, and the effects of exposure
  •  Material Safety Data Sheets and labeling
  •  Cancer, birth defects, and other diseases with a possible chemical causation
  •  Environmental pollutants in soil, water and air
  •  Superfund and toxic waste site risk assessment
  •  Indoor air pollutants and sick building syndrome
  •  Worker’s compensation litigation support and expert witness
  •  Communication of chemical exposure risks to juries, the press and the public


Should you someday find yourself in need of a toxicologist to help you in one of the above areas, you will find many well qualified occupational toxicologists here  –  http://www.toxconsultants.com/consultants/

For even more information on chemical safety and toxicology, check out our toxicology webpage!


When buying safety products (or anything else) THANK YOU for using our links to Amazon.com

The use of this website constitutes your acceptance of our Terms of Use

Safety Articles

Translate This Page